Tuesday, August 24, 2010

It's So Quiet, I Can Hear My Head Not Pounding

Shhh...

Do you hear that?  Me neither.

Except for the tapping at the keyboard and the quiet noises an unemployed husband makes reading his newspaper at the kitchen table, it is quiet; it is still; it is calm.

I have endured the summer.  I have made it.  Made it through countless arguments over who hit who and who said what.  Made it through the guilt of allowing them countless hours of watching "iCarly" and "Phineas & Ferb" and recordings of "Wipeout".  Made it through an enumerable amount of inquisitions on why this one or that one could sleep over or not.  Made it through the summer having the aforementioned husband home and kids not truly understanding why he can't play 24-7 since he is not working.

Now, as I sit in the peace, I can say it was worth it.  Today is the first day of school.  This is the day my youngest has started going all day, mind you it is only 2 days a week, but we have to start somewhere.

I walked in the door after dropping the younglings off and asked the husband, "Now what do I do?"  He said I should lay on the couch and read a book.  "Are you being sarcastic?" I questioned, seeing as that is all I did during my summer of endurance.  Yet, when others who have asked me what I am going to do now with my free time, I have responded with exactly the words my husband said to me this morning.  At least for the first month or so.  A good friend told me yesterday in response to my couch laziness, "You deserve it.  We have worked hard for our kids.  You can do whatever you want."

It is now time to relish in the peace and quiet, but I first have to figure out how to get that noisy, talk-to-himself, sing-to-himself, fart-and-burp-and-laugh-at himself, quirky husband of mine out of my space to do so.

No comments: